Thursday, October 26, 2006

FAMILY:


In chapter 3, White says about working mothers. She gives some examples of working mothers in Japan. She insists that it is difficult for working mothers to coordinate of home, work and children, but in Japan they are expected to manage about household chores. I think that this expectation make feel a lot of women nervous to have children. White says that if working mothers have a teenage daughter, they give a daughter regular chores. On the other hand, if working mothers have a son, they don’t ask a son to help because they think that it is important for a boy to get a good education. There are a big difference to treat the way between a boy and a girl. I think that it is too strange and unfair. In my case, I have only sisters and my mother isn’t working mothers, so I can’t understand that situation. However this situation has been changing, a lot of working mothers consider that it is necessary for a girl to study hard and to go to high-level university, so working mothers has more responsibility of coordinating of home, work and children by her. In Japan, almost all fathers do not help his wife do household and the education of children. On my experience, my father has never helped my mother and I helped my mother do household. When I went to back home and I found that my mother was out in the kitchen, it was habitual for me to do help with my mother in the kitchen. My sisters and I was educated to do so. My father insisted that a girl have to help her mother and to learn about housework. Thanks to my parents, I don’t have a problem doing housework, but I think that it was strange that my father didn’t help my mother and now I think that it is natural that father cooperate with his wife in doing housework and the education of children and this make it easy for women to have children.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

My father and two brothers always had to help at home doing chores. It seems bad to me that a father would say that girls need to help their mother doing housework and not the boys.

I think that husband and wife both need to share the household work, and help raise the children. I like cooking, too, so it would be sad for me if a wife always made food and everything for me!

So do you plan on being a working mother after college? And do boys in Japan agree that husbands and wives should help each other?

11:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home